Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spiritual Discipline, March 19

I remember a teacher in elementary school who had a big voice. On the playground or in the cafeteria she could command the attention of her class with her booming voice. But sometimes, she would also get our attention by speaking so softly that we had to stop talking or making noise and listen for her quiet voice. As I recall, she held our attention more when she spoke softly and drew us into quietness rather than when she had to yell to gain our attention. Nouwen speaks of the prophet Elijah who looked for God in the earthquake, wind, and fire, only to hear God in a still, small voice. To listen for the still, small voice of God is an intentional act. Nouwen says that to do this is to be "all ear for God." He continues, "The core of all prayer is indeed listening, obediently standing in the presence of God." (p. 95) In the words of the old spiritual, "Hush, Hush, somebody's calling my name." Listen...Listen...

JKA

2 comments:

  1. I love the first two sentences of today's reading. It reminds me that, though I do have to listen closely, God will speak. He wants me to hear him. This reading rightly emphasizes doing our part to listen, but knowing that, as always, God is the initiator, takes the pressure off! God will meet me more than halfway! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I don't know what I'm doing. That comment was from Randa, not Stephen.

    ReplyDelete