Thursday, March 5, 2009

Only the Father, March 5

David's plea for a clean heart is a powerful statement of repentance. "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." His disobedience marked not only his own life, but the lives of others as well. I have heard at times, as justification for sin, the excuse be made, "I wasn't hurting anyone but myself," but that simply isn't true. First and foremost my disobedience hurts God, but also those around me. Therefore, the call to obedience that Nouwen makes in today's entry leads me to renewed faith through the singular focus that He identifies as Jesus concern...obedience, "to do the will of the Father." The transformational touch of God's forgiveness cleanses the repentant heart, and reveals once more the path of obedience characterized by the example of Christ. His obedience to the will of his heavenly Father was a purposeful gift given to all who will follow; all whose hearts will be created anew.

JKA

2 comments:

  1. I am grateful for the discipline of this blog and Lenten study; it reminds me daily of repentence and forgiveness-for myself and others. "Do not lose your fearlessness now..." in the Hebrews verse fits well with Nouwen's phrase "radical purpose of Jesus' ministry", and reminds us to be Bold and to persevere in order to do God's will and receive God's promises. ~ Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nouwen speaks often of the radical nature of Jesus' message and ministry, Pam. His purpose was to transform lives, yet we seem surprised at times by the Gospel's claims upon us that truly call us to change. Perseverence is a necessary quality of Christian character that aids this transformation. Paul challenges his readers to "..not grow weary in doing well." Persevere and be transformed...a great Lenten theme!

    ReplyDelete