Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday, February 25

Henri Nouwen closes his prayer for this day's reading asking God to give strength so that we can, "...be decisive in doing good." Our entrance into Lent speaks of an intentional choice, but to be quite honest, the choice we make to follow Jesus along the Lenten path toward the cross is a choice that we will struggle with throughout this season.
Too often we express our participation on this journey in the context of what we will "give up for Lent," as if these small privations in some way mirror a greater sacrifice. But setting aside certain foods, activities, or pleasures doesn't really get to the heart of Nouwen's prayer.
With brutal honesty, Nouwen confesses before the Lord, "I know that Lent is going to be a very hard time for me. There are no times or places without choices. And I know how deeply I resist choosing you." His words have a familiar ring for me, and perhaps for you. Choice is something we clamour for, yet something we sometimes labor over because of the difficulty of the choice.
The cross was not a last minute choice that Jesus embraced. He had spoken of his death early in his ministry among his disciples, but they either weren't listening, or tried to talk him out of such a choice. It could be said that we spend a great deal of time in such indifference or argument. Yet, the cross calls us to a decisive choice.
Some of us will be marked by ashes on this day. This symbolic gesture speaks of choice, but it is more than the act of a corporate body or religious rite. This is an act of repentance, an intentional act that should mark not only our outward appearance, but more importantly, our souls. Let us choose the path of repentance and confession, and let us be decisive in doing good...in following the way of the cross.
Jim Abernathy

3 comments:

  1. Nouwen begins with a real core issue of the spiritual life--choosing Christ daily. I like the phrase: "The cross was not a last minute choice that Jesus embraced." I especially resonate with the word "embrace."

    For me, a daily walk with Christ requires more than a cognitive decision--it is a full embrace, a complete surrender of body, mind, and soul.

    No one's perfect, but our desire to choose or embrace Christ daily is not only pleasing to God, but from God and will be used by God to God's greater glory. Thanks be to God! NHP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was struck by the references to sin's guilt, especially where Nouwen says that our guilt has become an idol. He goes on to say that "Lent is the time to break down this idol and to direct our attention to our loving Lord."

    The breaking down of my guilt idol is directly related to whether I make the choice to choose God's way every moment of every day. I'm encouraged in my own resistance to choose because, as Nancy alluded to above, I can draw on God's strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Complete surrender is perhaps the most difficult act of faith...yet..."love so amazing, so divine, demands my life, my soul, my all."(Wesley)

    ReplyDelete