Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Handed Over, April 7

I believe it was Doris Day who sang many years ago, “Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be…” Now I know I am dating myself when I quote the lyrics of a Doris Day song. Some of you will have to google her name to find out who she was. The message of her song, however, intimates a certain fatalistic view of life…what will be, will be. Is Henri Nouwen offering a fatalistic view in today’s devotional? He speaks of passion not as a matter of choice, but rather as what is thrust upon us. He cites the betrayal and crucifixion of Jesus as an example, saying, “From the moment Jesus is handed over, his passion begins, and through this passion, he fulfills his vocation.” I would not view this however as fatalism for while the actions of others impact the Passion stories, Jesus walked willingly to the cross. This decision was made long before Judas betrayed him with a kiss. He allowed himself to be handed over, to be taken to a cross as a matter of choice, “for God so loved the world that he gave his Son…” The purpose of this gift was not fully revealed until Jesus allowed himself to be taken and then submitted himself to the humiliating torture of his trial and crucifixion. Dying on the cross, he allowed himself to be placed in the hands of the One he came to glorify, saying, “Into your hands, I commend my spirit.” Giving himself up, he died and then lived to bring glory to God. Nouwen writes, “I, too, have to let myself be handed over and thus fulfill my vocation.” Que sera, sera.

JKA

No comments:

Post a Comment